Acupuncture originated in China around 3,500 years ago and remains one of the oldest, most commonly used systems of healing in the world. It heals by balancing energy within the body - using "points" located along various energetic pathways called "meridians."
Acupuncture involves the placement of hair-thin needles on the body. In most cases, these points are retained for 20-30 minutes (but in some cases, such as pediatric sessions or during labor, the points are not retained at all). While each person experiences acupuncture differently, most people feel only a minimal amount of sensation as the needles are inserted. Once the needles are in most of our patients feel a sense of deep relaxation, & even sleepiness!
Acupuncture is an excellent tool for preventing illness and promoting an overall sense of well-being. It can also be used to support the following conditions:
Women's Health Concerns
- Hormonal Imbalance (Endometriosis, Irregular Cycles, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Acne, PMS)
- Adrenal/Thyroid Imbalances
- Mood Changes (Depression, Anxiety, Irritability)
- Digestive Complaints (constipation, acid reflux, bloating)
- Carpal Tunnel (or other discomfort of arms/legs)
- Shortness of Breath
- Bed-Rest Concerns (placenta previa, hypertension)
- Pre-Labor Preparation
- In-Labor House Calls
The Immune System
- Cold & Flu
- Skin Irritations (Acute and Chronic)
- Seasonal Allergies
- Frequent Illness
- Acid Reflux/GERD
- Weight Gain
- Acute Injury
- Chronic Pain
- Chronic Asthma
- Chronic Eczema
- Chronic or Seasonal Allergies
- Frequent Illness
- Behavioral Concerns (ADD, ADHD)
It is my mission to empower women with the tools and knowledge to understand the profound wisdom within their physiology - so you can live a purposeful life that is symptom-free. My work integrates Chinese Medicine, herbal blends, nourishment plans and intuitive life coaching to address the mind-body-spirit connection.
Women's physiology is a complex interplay of beautiful dynamic - one that strives, and knows, how to be in a state of health. "Symptoms" (or discomforts) are how our body communicates to us that in some way we are out of balance. The juxtaposition of a woman's emotions in relationship to uncomfortable symptoms is as important to address as symptom-relief. Women under my care may be struggling with one of the following complaints:
- Menstrual Symptoms: Irregular Periods, PMS, Painful Periods (including Endometriosis), Heavy Periods, Cystic Ovaries (including PCOS)
- Post Partum Support: Mood Changes, Energy Changes, Sleep Deprivation, Digestive Changes, Breast Milk Supply (over or under production), Regaining of Self Identity
- Infertility (see more in next section)
- Peri- or Post-Menopause Changes: Insomnia, Weight Gain, Hot Flashes, Irritability or Mental Fatigue
- Emotional/Mood Changes
- IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) or other Digestive Imbalance
- Post-Birth Control Re-Balancing
Whether you are ready to get pregnant naturally, or using Assisted Reproductive Therapy, I operate my fertility guidance under the assumption that your body is not broken - that you are whole, and that your capacity for mothering a child is possible.
It is truly the ultimate act of surrender and sacrifice pursing parenthood, and I take the time to fully integrate this process on a physical, emotional and spiritual level with my clients. By serving you in your fertility goals, we are also impacting the health of future generations, which is a true gift.
Wherever you are on your fertility journey, I have practical tools and solutions for:
- Fertility Preservation (for conceiving at a later date, or in preparation for egg freezing)
- Boosting Fertility through regulating ovulation and hormone imbalance
- Optimizing Fertility through Basal Body Temp Charting
- Offering Natural Support alongside Assisted Reproductive Therapy (ART), such as IUI, IVF or FET
- Preparing for Pregnancy via donor egg
- "Unexplained Infertility"
It wasn't until I became a mother that I truly understood the complexity of making informed choices on behalf of my children's nourishment and treatment approach. In addition to understanding the evidence of what works, we also must tap into our mother-bear-intuition with unabashed confidence. Because my pediatric coaching is done primarily with the parent (unless the child is of age to appropriately engage in the call), we are able to integrate all of these areas within the scope of care. With children, I use a food-first approach and integrate custom and patented pediatric herbal blends as needed for chronic concerns like:
- Behavioral Disorders
- Chronic Skin Issues
- Chronic Digestive Issues
- Chronic Immune Concerns (persistent cough, recurrent ear infections, etc)
What To Expect
At your Initial Session, I'll conduct a detailed holistic health history to help determine the best way to support you. From there we will discuss a treatment strategy - including herbal, supplement and nutritional support - as well as how many sessions are necessary to achieve your goals. Follow-up sessions will include a 10-15 minute health intake to review any changes in your health or questions you might have.
After your consultation is complete, you'll receive an acupuncture treatment for 25-35 minutes. Your treatment will take place in a private room, with you laying down on a treatment table (either face-up or face-down, depending on the nature of your care). Acupuncture needles will be gently placed in various spots around the body, and appropriate draping towels are available for your discretion. I'll be communicating with you for the duration of the insertion, adjusting any discomfort and explaining the meaning behind certain sensations.
Once you are comfortable, I'll leave the room for 20-30 minutes and let you rest. Typically, I'll check on you once during that time to make sure you are still comfortable. After the session, all points will be swiftly removed and you can get ready to leave.
Before you leave it is wise to have your follow-up session scheduled. I am available by email in between sessions, should questions or concerns arise at any time.